Unreal Engine 4
- Unreal Engine 4 tips: A couple of random all purpose UE4 tips. Performance tips most notably.
- The Solus Project: Several videos and presentations on the making of the UE4 title Solus, along with the free Solus example files.
Unreal Engine 3 (UT3/UDK/Other)
Note these tutorials have been written with various versions of the engine. Some things may look different in your version.
- UE3 FAQ: Frequently asked questions regarding UE3.
- A simple UDK Game: How to set up an entire little UDK game, from scratch to end, for people with no prior experience in Unreal.
- HUD and Interface Creation: Setting up HUD and Interface elements through Kismet.
- Material Editor – Introduction: Basic introduction to the new material editor
- Material Editor – Examples 1: Learn by doing. Material examples.
- Material Editor – Examples 2: More complex examples.
- Material Editor – Material Expressions: A list of all available material expressions.
- Material Editor – In Depth – Water Outdoor: Advanced material tutorial on how to create a large outdoor water surface.
- Material Editor – In Depth – Water Indoor: Advanced material tutorial on how to create a small indoor water surface.
- Material Editor – Triggering Materials: How to change a material in real time plus basic Instanced Material example.
- Material Editor – Texture Optimization: How to reduce the memory footprint of your textures and materials.
- Terrain: How to create a Terrain in the engine, control the LOD’ing, paint materials, and bump up lighting quality.
- Foliage and Deco Layers: How to add Foliage and Deco Layers to a terrain in UE3.
- The Foliage Volume: How to randomly scatter objects around on any type of surface.
- Adding Water To A Level: How to add a body of swimmable water to a level.
- UE3 Modeling – Basics: How to prepare a mesh for the engine, how to export and import it, how to batch export, and how to set up collision.
- UE3 Modeling – Advanced: Common questions/answers, and advanced tips on mesh optimization within the engine.
- Lightmapping Meshes In The Editor: How to set up lightmapping on a mesh.
- Interp Actor Basics: How to make an elevator, a simple loopmover, a continuously rotating mover, and how to attach one mover to another.
- Fracture Meshes: How to make meshes that can be shot into pieces using the Fracture Mesh system .
- LightMass:Introduction to using the LightMass system .
- LightFunctions: What LightFunctions are and how to make one, plus an example of how to create a searchlight effect..
- Real Time Reflections And Cameras: How to create a real time reflection or camera..
- Fog: An extensive look on fog in UE3. Distance fog, fog volumes, fog planes, animated fog, and so on.
- Particle Editor Basics: Basics of the Cascade particle editor plus a smoke particle example.
- Decals: How to use the Decal Actor in UE3.
- Sound in UE3: How to add sound to an environment, plus the use of the Sound Cue editor explained.
- Streaming Basics: Basics of streaming and the various way of setting it up.
- UIScenes: Creating a basic UIScene. Used to display text and images on the screen and anything else to do with the interface.
- Cutscenes: A simple cutscene that makes use of two different cameras, triggers an event along the way, and fades in and out.
- Physics: How to apply physics to a model in UE3.
- Soft Physics: How to use soft physics in UE3.
- Performance Profiling: How to find out what parts of your game/level cause performance slow downs.
- The Final Touches: How to add a music track and a preview screenshot to your UT3 level, and how to configure the ini file, plus a sample readme file.
- Cool Tools: A look at some handy free or cheap tools that come in handy when dealing with level design and environment art within Unreal Engine 3.
- The Making of Krodan: A simple tutorial that shows the evolution of Krodan, an all custom content UT3 level.
- The Making of The Spire: A simple tutorial that shows the creation of The Spire, a Gears Of War level.
Design/Art Tutorials – Universal/Any Game
- Texture Tutorial: Things to keep in mind when texturing a level.
- Photoshop Texture Tricks: Random Photoshop tricks, focused on texture creation.
- Source Photos For Texturing: Random tips on how to take good source photos to create tiling textures of.
- Texture Creation using nDo2: Walks you through the process of making a photo-sourced diffuse texture, and how to set up its normal map using nDo2.
- Cave Modeling: Step by step pictures of how the cave from DM-Sae was modeled.
Technical/Misc. Tutorials – Unreal Engine 1 and 2/Other
- Vertex colors Texture Blending: 3DSMax and Unreal Engine 2 tutorial on blending textures on a static mesh using vertex colors.
- Vertex Lighting basics: The workings of vertex lighting in games like UT2004.
- Mesh rendering: How many game engines draw and calculate meshes in an environment plus the importance of materials.
- Occluders and Zoning: Correct use of occluders and the principle of zoning. Unreal Engine 1 and 2.
- Semi Solid brushes: The way Semi Solid brushes work in the Unreal Engine. Aimed at Unreal Engine 1 and 2, slightly useful for 3.
- BSP Errors: BSP problems and errors. Their causes and their fixes. Mainly aimed at Unreal Engine 1 and 2, but also useful for 3.
- The Making of Horean: A picture gallery of the progress of the level Horean, an Unreal Tournament level that uses nothing but BSP.